Sunday, September 22, 2013

How I Stay Active While Living With Arthritis


Born with dysplasia in my left hip that was not discovered until I was 18 months old I am no stranger to pain in my hip. When my dysplasia was made known I underwent multiple surgeries which resulted in a hip joint being formed for me out of bone grafts from my femur. At two years old I spent two weeks in traction and months in body casts. Since that time I stubbornly moved in ways my doctor originally never thought was possible. I danced from age 3 - 18 when I was told I would have to stop or get a hip replacement. Then I took up running, and while I did it with a bit of a limp, I thought of myself as the little runner that could, and my determination took me over quite a few finish lines. I've now had to stop running because I have been told I have no cartilage left in my hip and am living with severe osteoarthritis. The pain is bad and I will be getting a hip replacement soon. However, I have not stopped being active and I whole heartedly believe that staying active keeps my pain level down and hip as healthy as it can be.

Before I was living with severe arthritis I had an image of arthritis as being a completely debilitating illness that only happens to the elderly. This is not my experience. Yes, there are days when the pain is all consuming but for the most part I am able to maintain my activity level as long as I pay attention to my limitations and work with my pain management strategies. I have heard countless times how important it is to stay as active as possible while living with arthritis to maintain strength and mobility in the joint.

I would like to share with you eight strategies to stay active while living with osteoarthritis:

1) Let pain be your guide - this is very important and a lesson I have learned the hard way one too many times. If you feel like you are doing more harm than good then it is time to stop.

2) Choose activities that have a low to moderate impact on your affected joint - Swimming is always a good option but if you need something with a bit more intensity try yoga, cycling, spin, or kettlebell. Try new things until you find something that works for you.

3) Ice that joint - part of what causes the pain is inflammation in the joint. By icing the joint after exercise you are helping to keep any inflammation down that may have been caused by exercise.

4) Apply heat to the muscle - if you are living with arthritis you know that it is not just the joint that causes you pain. Often the muscles around the joint carry a lot of tension which can cause significant pain. By applying heat either with a hot water bottle or in a hot bath you can help to relax some of those muscles (my favorite is an Epsom salt bath).

5) Always stretch - stretching is important for everyone but especially for those of us living with arthritis.

6) Modify - it is important to work within and acknowledge your own limitations. Find ways to make exercises work for you and don't be afraid to ask a trainer or instructor for help with this.

7) Try not to get discouraged (especially if you are just getting into exercise) - Building strength and flexibility takes time, especially if you are living with arthritis, be patient with yourself.

8) Have fun - while it can feel like it, exercise shouldn't be a chore. You are far more likely to stick with it if you are having fun so find something that you enjoy.

As with anything, it is important that you find an exercise routine that works for you within your own limitations but I hope these pointers can help you stay on the path to fitness and joint health.

No comments:

Post a Comment